Saturday, November 4, 2017

Portfolio Update - Oct 2017

  The month of October is now behind us.  We have seen an increase in the price of a barrel of WTI Crude Oil to around $55 US per barrel.  This increase is due to OPEC production cuts continuously being upheld. The increase will be good for the economy of western Canada, especially Alberta, has means the exploration companies will start to get back to drilling for oil and gas.  One operating rig creates on average 135 jobs directly in the oil and gas sector and indirectly through restaurants and hotels.

    My $94 covered call in Royal Bank (RY.TO) was assigned on Oct 20th as the share price of RY.TO  increased to over $100 per share.  My $84 short put in RY.TO expired on October 20th, therefore I get to keep the premium minus commissions.

     During the month of October 2017, A&W Revenue Royalties Income Fund (AW.UN.TO) increased their dividend by a small amount to take effect for the November 30th payment date.  Emera Inc. (EMA.TO) increased their dividend from $2.09 to $2.26 per share per year.

    I invest in Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS.TO) in 2 ways.  The 2 ways are inside my TFSA and directly through the transfer agent.  I sent a $150 check in the mail to purchase more shares of BNS.TO.  On October 27, I purchased 1.811599 shares at $82.7998 for a total cost of $150.00.  Purchasing directly with the transfer agent is commission free.

Shares Purchased Via DRIP

0.318339 shares of BNS.TO @ $83.119 for a total cost of $26.46

As of  Nov 4 2017,  the value of the portfolio is $108505.22. This is a 1.484% increase over last month's total.  The spreadsheet in the investment tab above has been updated.

 During the last 2 months I closed my positions in TD.TO and RY.TO,  the former was through a regular sell order and the latter was by an covered call option assignment.  I  should of learned my lesson by now not to write covered calls or sell these positions when I am fortunate enough to own them.


Disclosure:  Long BNS.TO, AW.UN.TO, EMA.TO

Please Note:  All stocks are from the Toronto Stock Exchange except TTR which trades on the Venture Exchange.
.

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.






No comments:

Post a Comment